9.09.2012

One Year Ago

One year ago I packed a duffel bag along with a couple of sketchbooks and flew out to the Bay area. First I crashed on a couch in Berkeley, then making my way into the city and finally finding a place back in the East Bay just north of Berkeley.

Less than 6 miles from my class. I became very familiar with the streets of East Bay, running, walking, biking everywhere. In February I was fortunate to find a gig in Burlingame. Only 28.6 miles away, doesn't sound far. But with no car, no bike and only using the Bus and trains to commute, it devoured almost 4 hours of my day. That's 20 hours a week!

I was working a part time job by just commuting, I used those hours as best as I could. When I bought a bike that helped save me 15 mins and turned my legs into tree trunks :P

I put up with that for 7 months and it broke me. My health quickly went out the window and now I'm in recovery mode. I wised up a bit and moved a mile away from work. MY. GOD. I can't believe I can get more than 4-5 hours of sleep now. I can't believe I put up with that commute for so long. I kept tricking myself but couldn't take it any longer.

Now I'll use that time to continue working on my growth again (surprised?) And I'll use that time to meet new faces and build stronger friendships. SO much has happened in the last year, so many stories.

I've written almost all my stories down and have now decided to create a 30-50 pg little comic book about my experience. I'm in no rush to do so, as I have one particular objective; which is to become better artist. I've already started drawing some of the ideas out, but I'll start fleshing it all out around Nov-Dec this year.

It's hard to believe that it's already been a year. ONE YEAR. I came out here not knowing anyone, I was uninspired, my whole "plate" was wiped clean when I lost all my work when my computer crashed. It was a very symbolic, I had a fresh start. I did come hungry however.

Now, I have more ideas than I know what to do with. I'm surrounded by some of the greatest artists and people I've ever met. And this city never ceases to amaze me with what is happening or what I might stumble upon. Kind of silly I didn't come out here sooner. But it's been exactly what I needed.

I'm going to hit the last four months hard and crank up my work. I have a lot of new things in the works and I can't wait to share them.

Stay tuned.

5 comments:

Bruno Oliveira said...

That's a great story. It's funny when I read about your computer crashing.. Man, it felt like I went back years ago, when you mentioned that to us all on fb, before we even met. I never thought I'd meet such great people. There's a nostalgic feeling to this story you wrote and I hope you do that comic book quick enough! Your lines look so much better and expressive. I feel inspired. Thank's man

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this, Toby, I'm making my move out west to Cali this November and it is very inspiring!

Toby Cochran said...

Thanks Bruno! I look forward to seeing you in October!

Jo- where you moving to exactly?! That's exciting :)

Unknown said...

Well, I'll be crashing on couches between my parents and Grandma for a while, so Temecula and the Irvine area. But I've got my eye on the Bay area. Are you going to be at CTN-X this year?

Aga said...

Your story is inspiration itself and it was always nice to talk with you! I am always looking forward to your sketches.